St. Austell Union Workhouse
The St Austell Union workhouse was built in 1838 on a two acre site at the north of St Austell. It was designed by George Gilbert Scott and his partner William Bonython Moffatt who were also the architects for other Cornish workhouses in Liskeard, Penzance, Redruth, and St Columb Major. The Poor Law Commissioners authorised the sum of £5,650 on construction of the building which was intended to accommodate 300 inmates. The workhouse location and layout are shown on the OS map of 1907 by which time the workhouse was shown as St Austell Poor Law Institution
St Austell followed Scott and Moffatt's typical design. It had a single-storey front block with a central entrance archway. To the rear was the main accommodation block, three storeys high, and having the Master's quarters at the centre. An infirmary block stood to the rear. A new infirmary block was built at the north in about 1914.
All the workhouse buildings had been demolished by 1991.
Home Surnames Links