S. of Jacob Lund
Bap. 25.2.1668 at Kildwick in Craven, Yorkshire, England
Marr. Maria Petty
12.11.1692 at Kildwick in Craven, Yorkshire
"KILDWICK, a parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; (Kildwick Hall, the seat of Miss Currer) 4¼ miles S. of Skipton, 5¾ from Keighley, 9 from Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. 175. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew; in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£10. 18s. 1½d. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford.
The Church of Kildwick, is one of the two in the whole deanry of Craven, which are mentioned in Domesday. It was given by, Cecilia de Romille to the Priory of Embsay. After the dissolution of religious houses, the rectory, with the advowson of the vicarage, was granted by Henry VIII. to Christ Church, Oxford. In the nave of the present Church, built or renewed about the reign of Henry VIII. are the tomb and cumbent statue of Sir Robert de Steeton, in link mail, with his arms upon a shield. It is wrought in Haselwood stone, and is an exact counterpart of his contemporary Sir Adam de Midelton, at Ilkley: and in the north chapel and choir are, also monuments to the families of Currer, Swire, Jennings, & c.
The village, situated upon a hill on the road from Keighley to Skipton, was amongst the first donations to the Priory of Embsay; by Cecilia de Romille, the foundress. In that house it continued till the dissolution, when it was granted by Henry VIII. to Robert Wilkinson and Thomas Drake, of the parish of Halifax. In the 2 Edward I. is a license to Drake, to alienate the Manor of Kildwick to John Garforth, of Farnhill by whom, or his son, 1st of Elizabeth, it was sold to Henry Currer, Esq. and from whom it has lineally descended to the present owner, Miss Currer.
The Manor house, a respectable stone building, perhaps a century and a half old, stands high above the church, with a very deep descent in front; but is sheltered by thriving plantations. --Hist. Craven."
Home Surnames Links